Employment Term: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Experience: 5-7 years
Education: Associate Degree
Degree Field: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Technical
A combination of training, certifications, and relevant work experience may be considered to meet the education requirement.
Applicant is subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for clearance level required for the job.
Travel: CONUS & OCONUS 25%
Candidate must possess a current passport with 8 months remaining until the expiration date.
Location: San Diego CA
Upon supervisor approval, telecommuting is authorized.
Job Description and Requirements:
GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE
Risk Mitigation Consulting, Inc., a DoD mission assurance and risk mitigation Government contractor, is seeking an engineering technician with broad experience and familiar with utility systems, such as found on military installations or medium-sized communities. The Engineering Technician must have the ability to use standard practices and recommend techniques to solve a variety of general engineering problems. The position requires the ability to travel approximately 25% of the time.
The Engineering Technician will be responsible for collecting and compiling data and assisting in writing reports regarding existing and potential engineering studies and projects. Focus of the work will be in analyzing and reporting how existing utilities infrastructure and building systems can be made less vulnerable to disruption and more resilient. General familiarity with typical utility systems (electrical power, water, wastewater, natural gas, and transportation fuels) is necessary. Fundamental understanding of power controls, SCADA, energy monitoring and control systems, and backup and alternative energy generation is preferred, with emphasis on system reliability and resiliency.
General knowledge of facilities and utilities engineering concepts, principles, and practices applicable to the full range of duties concerned with the wide range of military facilities such as administrative buildings, tactical equipment shops, communications facilities, industrial plants, hospitals, control towers, and aircraft hangars is preferred. Knowledge of engineering concepts and design requirements as it pertains to various utilities system generation and distribution systems is also preferred. Familiarity with general utilities system supply and distribution concepts, maintenance and operation, metering, industrial controls, corrosion protection, and safety standards is desired. Familiarity with backup power generation systems, and transfer switch configurations is preferred, as is knowledge of SCADA operation as it pertains to area utility systems incorporating local PLC control systems.
- Study and analyze technical drawings, specifications of utilities systems, and topographical maps to ensure compliance with standards and military mission requirements.
- Collect and review data relating to systems infrastructure and to assist in identifying potential system deficiencies and vulnerabilities to the full spectrum threats and hazards.
- Determine operation and maintenance status of utility systems.
- Conduct field surveys and studying maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify means of correcting utilities system problems and weaknesses.
- Ability to convey technical issues in a logical manner understandable to non-technical individuals.
- Assist other personnel in understanding and interpreting engineering data and terminology.
- Assist in preparing simple concept drawings using PowerPoint.
- Respond to requests for technical support, as needed.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate’s degree in engineering technology or related technical field. Exceptional experience may substitute for the degree.
- Utilities system operation and maintenance or related experience
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Ability to work within small groups
- Exhibit strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Possess strong command of English written and spoken language
- Knowledge of standard observation, measuring, and analysis techniques, and the ability to consolidate the findings of others, evaluate recommendations and facts
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Familiarity with industry practices
- Military background or experience with military facilities design or construction
Eligible to participate in Annual Bonus Program.
Compliance with a drug-free work environment, U. S. Citizen, possess valid State driver’s license.
RMC is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.
« Return to Job Listing