Employment Term: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Experience: 5-7 years
Education: Bachelor Degree
Degree Field: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
A combination of training, certifications, and relevant work experience may be considered to meet the education requirement.
Applicant is subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for clearance level required for the job.
An Active DoD Secret clearance is required for this position.
Travel: CONUS & OCONUS 25%
Candidate must possess a current passport with 8 months remaining until the expiration date.
Location: Northern VA
Upon Supervisor approval, telecommuting is authorized.
Job Description and Requirements:
Risk Mitigation Consulting, Inc., a DoD mission assurance and risk mitigation Government contractor, is seeking an Electrical Engineer with broad experience in utilities systems (water, wastewater, and electrical power, natural gas, and transportation fuels), such as found on military installations or medium-sized communities.
The Electrical Engineer will be responsible for collecting, compiling, and analyzing data and writing reports regarding existing and potential engineering studies and projects. Focus of the work will be in analyzing and reporting how existing utility and building systems can be made less vulnerable to disruption and more resilient. Familiarity with power controls, SCADA, transmission and distribution, energy monitoring and control systems, and alternative energy generation is necessary, with emphasis on reliability and resiliency.
Require knowledge of utility systems facilities and equipment, operation and maintenance of electric power and other utility distribution stations, transmission lines, and distribution systems and equipment and technical issues. Knowledge is also required of engineering principles, concepts and design requirements as it pertains to various utilities system generation and distribution systems. Engineer should be familiar with fundamentals of electrical power distribution systems.
Electrical Discipline Requirements:
Familiar with exterior primary power distribution systems (underground and overhead) and interior electrical distribution systems. Familiar with substation general concepts including protective relaying, AC & DC control, relay coordination, ground grid design, transformer sizing, load flow and short circuit studies and familiarity with substation switchers, breakers and metal clad gear. Knowledge of backup power generation systems, paralleling, and transfer switch configurations is required. Knowledge of SCADA design as it pertains to area utility systems incorporating local PLC control systems, relay control and open or proprietary protocols is required. Knowledge of sustainable design concepts as it pertains to electrical systems in the area of photo-voltaic systems and micro-grids. Further familiarity with utilities system design concepts, maintenance and operation, metering, industrial controls, supply and distribution issues, corrosion protection, and safety standards is preferred.
- Study and analysis of technical drawings, specifications of utilities systems, and topographical maps to ensure compliance with standards and military mission requirements.
- Collecting and analyzing data relating to systems infrastructure and building loads to identify potential system deficiencies and vulnerabilities to the full spectrum threats and hazards.
- Determining operating efficiency of electrical and other utility systems.
- Conducting field surveys and studying maps, graphs, diagrams, and other data to identify means of correcting utilities system problems and weaknesses.
- Ability to produce results of analysis in writing to convey complex technical issues in a logical manner understandable to non-technical individuals.
- Responding to requests for technical support, as needed.
- BS in Electrical Engineering from an accredited school. Exceptional experience may substitute for the degree. Degree in mechanical engineering may be considered for exceptional candidates
- 5 years experience in Utilities engineering or related experience
- Ability to obtain a Secret security clearance
- Ability to obtain State professional registration
- Ability to work within small groups and brief findings
- Familiarity with industry standards and pertinent federal policy
- Military background or experience with military facilities design or construction
- Professional registration as an electrical engineer
Compliance with a drug-free work environment, U. S. Citizen, possess valid State driver’s license.
RMC is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.
« Return to Job Listing